Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Discussion Recap: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


The gals got together tonight and had a great discussion on Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Everyone seemed pretty pleased with the read- I definitely don't recall anyone lamenting over the hours spent following Oskar around on his adventure. (Usually we are desperate for more reading time!) Give this one a go if you haven't yet had the chance.

Some aspects we discussed included 9/11, tragedy, reading from the perspective of a child, and coping mechanisms.
Here is a sampling of some questions we discussed (led by Pepper)-any thoughts or feedback?

-Did you like the writing style of the author? What did his writing style indicate?
-Do you think writing fictional about tragedies such as 9/11 is appropriate? Did the author do so with adequate respect?
-"Humor is the only way to tell a sad story". How do you feel about this? Was the novel comical? Appropriately so?
-Was Oskar believable? (his version of the events, etc)
-Any thoughts on the Grandfather's storyline? Did you enjoy the double narrative or have a preference for who was talking?
-How do we handle/observe/cope with tragedy?

Did anyone dislike the book?

2 comments:

  1. I laughed and cried and loved it! I feel bad I couldn't contribute to the discussions that night but after hearing what everyone said I didn't want to miss out- so thanks Martha for letting me borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you had time to read it so quickly! I was amazing. It definitely made me reflect and dig a little deaper into my thoughts and feelings about 9/11.

    ReplyDelete