Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Reading with the Stars

If celebrity endorsements draw you in, you may want to consider picking up one of these favorite books (from a feature on msn.com):

Ben Affleck – Shah of Shahs by Ryszard Kapuscinski

Judd Apatow (director of Knocked Up) and Anderson Cooper – A Death in the Family by James Agee

Samantha Bee (from The Daily Show) – The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

Harold Bloom (Yale literature professor) – Henry IV, Part I by William Shakespeare

George H.W. Bush – The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Don Cheadle – If He Hollers Let Him Go by Chester Himes

Bill Clinton – I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Mark Cuban (businessman) – The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Nora Ephron (movie director) – The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing

Chris Matthews – A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House by Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.

Barack Obama – Self-Reliance: The Wisdom of Ralph Waldo Emerson as Inspiration for Daily Living

Michelle Obama – Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

Gwenyth Paltrow – Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Robert Pattinson – Charles Baudelaire: Complete Poems

Amy Poehler – I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris

Natalie Portman – The Ministry of Special Cases by Nathan Englander

Bill Simmons (sports writer) – Where I’m Calling From by Raymond Carver

Kristen Stewart – Cannery Row by John Steinbeck

Jay-Z – The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav

1 comment:

  1. Kristen Stewart reads books? I thought she just gazed into the distance with a smoldering look...
    I love the Gwenyth endorsed Jane Eyre. So apropos.
    and if anyone loves Catcher in the Rye, please read Broken.

    ReplyDelete